Differences in boys and girls, to me, is astounding! I am always surprised how the distinction is so obviously played out right in front of me, day in and day out. It’s kind of like having my own experimental box where I can observe the incredible variations between my 2 girls and my 2 boys……..and the fact that they are 9, 10, 12, and 14 just add to the bizarre observations!
Here are a few for your enjoyment:
*** Have very little need for communication or expressing thoughts except when either telling their siblings to do something or reenacting a sporting event
*** Tease in ways that reach new heights (or lows) where sarcasm and “below the belt” insults are hurled at each other at any given moment
*** Always seem to have sweat somewhere on their body (somebody please explain this to me!)
*** Always have a runny nose that apparently cannot be blown, it must be sucked up into their sinuses with such force as to make a pig blush
*** Keep their room messy enough to be comfortable, yet clean enough to ensure there won’t be any nagging by mom…..BUT always come out wearing clothes that look like they have been wadded up in a corner for weeks
*** Have a persistent habit of taking socks off anywhere and everywhere, only to be found under sofa cushions, kitchen pantries, and desk drawers
*** Eat as if they have just found out that their food will somehow be snatched away at any given moment…..so it must be shoveled into their mouths as quickly as possible in order to fill the plate again…..before anyone else has time to swallow their first few bites
*** Can toss, throw, and catch a ball between themselves and another person for HOURS! And this simple act is so compelling and exciting??
*** Hold the record for excuses given to “prove” to others that they are NOT wrong, NOT to blame, and certainly did NOT make a mistake
ON THE OTHER HAND,
• Express themselves in every possible way, using every emotion, every hand gesture, every voice inflection……for 10 minutes…only to finally get to the point of asking to go to a friend’s house
• Tease, use sarcastic humor, insult with a smile…..and then are completely surprised when someone says something “mean” back to them
• Always ask if they smell, have stinky breath, or look ok……I guess this is to practice a response for when they turn this questioning onto a husband
• Have an uncanny knack for collecting blush, lipstick, nail polish, jewelry, lotion…..and never quite knowing how it came to appear in their bedroom or that it looks exactly like the one missing from mom’s bathroom
• Don’t keep their room……..clean or organized…get nagged at by mom constantly….BUT always manage to come out looking like they had coordinated their outfit weeks ago
• Eat as if their food will be there forever and is not as important as the conversation going on at the table
• Have a persistent habit of walking into the house , taking off shoes……..then scrambling chaotically to find a particular pair among the fourteen shoes stuffed below the couch when it’s time to leave the house
• Stretch, bend, do cartwheels, practice dance steps, record themselves singing…….and get ecstatic when they can show their “performance” to anyone that will watch (except boys, because they will act like it’s stupid, when really the girls know they enjoyed it)
• Hold the record for initiating conversations with the words “are you mad at me?”….again, practicing for the future spouse
There are more differences between boys and girls, especially in my household, but I thought it best to not go into the really embarrassing ones! Even though, you know I was REALLY wanting to!
So, now it's your turn....if you have any gender distinctions among your clan that you would be brave enough to share, I would love to hear some great examples!